I’m constantly trying to find substitutes for breadcrumbs and/or ricotta in meatballs, you know something that will add some moisture but isn’t a carb or cheese… its hard. But this week I tried a new trick and it actually worked.
What to used:
- 1lb ground turkey thigh
- 1/2 can diced tomatoes aka the secret (save and freeze the other half, we’ll use them again soon!)
- palmful each of dried oregano & dried basil
- handful of fresh basil leaves (shiffoned)
- generous sprinkle of nutritional yeast
- 2 eggs beat
- salt to taste (but don’t actually taste, its raw poultry yuck!)
Mix all of those ingredients in a big bowl. Make into meatballs (larger than a golf ball, smaller than a tennis ball) and place on a baking sheet. Pop in the oven at 375 for 40-45 minutes.
It was super simple and they were actually pretty darn good. I should have added little more salt and other herbs would be nice, like parsley. But I ended up eating them with a hearty drizzle of pesto so the lack of salt & green herbs wasn’t an issue. See the little video below as well as photos!
Note: Next time I might also try adding in marinated sun dried tomatoes and kalamata olives for even more moisture and flavor!