This is a dish my mom has been making sine I was in high school folks!! And I’m sad to admit that was a DECADE ago, feeling tres old.
But when a meal lasts a decade you know it’s a good one and always receives two thumbs up in our house. I’ll admit I planned to make this a salad over spinach, but as the night drew late (I teach until 8:15PM on Wednesdays) the carb cravings kicked in and out came the TJ’s Flour Tortillas. I also knew the hubby would be pleased to be served more than just a salad for dinner so, for the sake of making myself sounding more considerate than I probably am, I’m going to say the whole tortilla thing was really for him.
What You Need:
- 1 package of Trader Joe’s Traditional Carnitas (already cooked)
- 1 jar of Trader Joe’s Salsa Verde
- Whatever else you like on your taco/taco salad! I used Trader Joe’s Mild Pico, 1 Avocado, TJ’s Flour Tortillas, Butter Lettuce, and a quick Creamy Primal Kitchen Chipotle Lime Dressing.
- Remove the Carnitas from the package and use your hands to break into smaller pieces
- Add the carnitas to a non-stick pan on high heat, no oil needed as the fat from the pork will be enough. The pork is already cooked but giving it a little crispy sear is highly recommended. As the carnitas heats up, you can break it into smaller pieces with tongs.
- Once browned, add the full jar of sauce and let it simmer for about 5 minutes, or as long as you’d like!
- Serve when ready. I made this early in the day before my evening classes and popped it in the fridge. Then when I was ready, I heated the carnitas and served it in warm tortillas with hunks of avocado, and a side salad of butter lettuce with pico de gallo and a little more carnitas because: PROTEIN 🙂 Drizzle with creamy chipotle lime dressing if you please!