Before I did Whole30 this was my go-to breakfast. Post Whole30 I found that eating eggs int he morning worked better for me, but if you are a granola lover and want to start making your own this recipe is AMAZING! This post is taken right from old blog but it’s as good today as it was in 2015! The inspiration came from CleanFoodDirtyCity where I once saw this granola this recipe which I ended up adapting into my own:
What I used:
- 2.5 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup raw sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup raw chia seeds
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 cup organic blue agave
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 2-3 handfuls raw coconut flakes
- Add everything except the coconut flakes to a large bowl and mix well. Then spread evenly on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Pop in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, giving it a toss with a spoon or spatula every 10 minutes so that it browns evenly.
- While baking in the oven, toast the coconut flakes by tossing them in a dry saute pan over medium heat and stirring/fluffing until golden brown. Remove the coconut flakes and put them in a bowl to the side until the granola is ready to come out of the oven (so that they don’t burn sitting in the hot pan).
- Toss it all together, let it cool and store for the week!!
You could easily substitute any other nut you like instead of the almonds – say walnuts, cashews, pecans etc. And just as easily could substitute other types of seeds for the pumpkins – like sunflower or pepitas. And lastly the sweetener, I used organic agave but the original recipe called for maple syrup… I think honey could be a great option as well.
It was so easy and all of the ingredients were things I was able to buy in sizable bags so I can keep making this Dahlicious topping for breakfast on the reg!!!