The allusive creamy pesto sauce made out of avocado has long since escaped me. I tried it once years ago when I saw it on OhSheGlows but it never turned out quite right, the leaves were always staying whole and the texture was weird. I recently saw this Instagram post by @_courtcooks_ and it inspired me to try again. So I did, and I think I figured out the trick.
All along I was using my Vitamix on of the highest blending settings and as it turns out, I just needed to turn it down a notch! Once I did that, the consistency really smoothed out, but the real secret was adding a splash of my homemade almond milk for that silky texture.
One last aside, I had a half a bag of spinach that was literally just reaching its expiration and I really DID NOT want to throw it out (remember: FOOD WASTE is real and here’s another way you can use up your spinach), so I figured this would be an easy way to incorporate it into my meal without having to dirty a whole other pan to cook it on its own! Genius right?
What I Used (for one person):
- 1/2 package of Cappello’s GF Fettuccini
- 2 Italian Chicken Sausages
- 1/2 bag of spinach (it was leftover from last week and hitting its expiration!)
- 1/2 a small container of basil leaves
- 4 cloves of garlic (I roasted them in the oven with olive oil to cut the sharpness, I did it while meal prepping other roasted veggies)
- a splash of my homemade almond milk
- A big pinch of salt
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 large avocado
- Oil of choice (I use grapeseed) for the sauce
- For the sausages, simply put them in a pyrex baking dish or on a foil lined baking sheet, drizzle with oil and roast at 400 for about 35-45 minutes flipping halfway through
- For the sauce: Add the spinach, basil, garlic, salt and lemon juice to your blender then add a liberal pour of oil to get it started. Blend on medium/pulse occasionally adding more oil if needed to get to a pesto like consistency. Then add your splash of almond milk and avocado and finish blending until totally smooth,
- Add the sauce to your pasta as soon as it’s done cooking and serve hot. No need to even add in other greens because you just ate a half a bag of spinach with your pasta!!! But if you want some crunch broccolini would be nice!
As a BONUS click here for my homemade vegan kale pesto!