With temps in the 90s in Chicago in late September, this meal of Lemon Dijon Chicken with Grilled Yellow Squash & Rainbow Chard Summer Salad was summer inspired despite technically being in fall. I have, sadly, had little chance to stop by farmers markets this summer so when the opportunity presented itself on a recent Sunday to pop into the Wicker Park Farmers Market just 30 minutes before closing I took the chance! Grabbing a handful of amazing greens along with the most beautiful bright yellow squashes I set out to make a dinner that showcased the bold flavors of amazing produce without having to do much to them.
After this trip to Heritage Praire Farms, I’d been daydreaming about a rainbow chard salad and honestly, I’d just been really lusting after really great product which I mentioned in this post. This was the easiest little meal but so complete and delish with simply grilled chicken, and simply prepared produce.
PS for more homemade vinaigrettes, head here!
What I used:
- 2 bone-in skin on organic chicken breasts
- 1 lemon (juice & zest)
- 2 tbsp Sir Kensington Dijon Mustard
- 1 bunch rainbow chard (cut super thing, chiffonade)
- 1 giant yellow squash (cut in half and then in slices)
- 1 avocado
- a handful of little cherry tomatoes
- Grapeseed Oil (or other oil of your preference), balsamic, salt, pepper
- For the chicken, I whipped up a quick marinade using grapeseed oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, a bit of pepper, and 1 tbsp of the mustard. Whisk it all together and let the chicken marinate for at least an hour but up to 24.
- Grill on the BBQ or roast in the oven at 400 for about 30 minutes
- For the squash, simply toss them in oil and a pinch of salt, grill until tender
- For the salad, simply mix grapeseed oil, balsamic, & 1 tbsp of the dijon to make a quick vinaigrette. Then toss the rainbow chard with your little tomatoes and diced avocado with your homemade dressing and serve it all up!