OK so who here knows much about sprouted nut? I had an idea of what it was and I knew I was basically starting to sprout my almonds every week as I prepped my almond milk but I never really did much research on the benefits. That is until I met Olivia from Spruts! She told me all about the enzyme in raw nuts that often leads to tummy troubles and issues with digestion which goes away when nuts are sprouted. Apparently, her mom was always making delicious batches of sprouted nuts in their home and a few months back they decided to make it a full-time business.
So for this meal, I used 1 package of lightly salted sprouted walnuts to make a delicious vegan kale and basil pesto for this bright but hearty meal.
What I Used:
- 1 package of Spruts Sprouted Walnuts
- 1 bunch chopped kale
- 1 handful of fresh basil
- 1 large lemon, just the juice
- a few pinches of salt
- 1/2 cup or more of good extra virgin olive oil
- a splash of warm water (to create the consistency you want)
- For the pesto, blend all of the above ingredients, except for the water in your blender. If you want it smoother or thinner add a few splashes of warm water and a bit more olive oil until you’ve got it just the way you want it!
- For the salmon, pan sear like this one! I used 2 filets for 2 people from Wabash Seafood Company.
- Add a little side of fresh spinach, chunks of avocado and Trader Joe’s frozen brown rice.
- Pile in a bowl and drizzle with pesto!