I was recently in World Market with my husband and after a wander through the cooking department, I realized I was, of course, leaving with SOMETHING. Among the spices, I grabbed a packet of Chinese 5 Spice which includes: star anise, cloves, cinnamon, fennel, & pepper. All of which I love and after a recent conversation about the flavors in Pho like star anise I was dying to make something with these flavors. I ended up combining a few recipes based on what I had on hand I came up with the below chicken dish. It was really delish but there are two modifications I would make next time:
- I did it in the slow cooker with the carrots and onions in the same pot and it was truly a bit too watery, I would have liked the sauce to be thicker so I think I would start by removing the carrots & onions and sauteeing them separately. I perhaps suggest ditching the slow cooker and putting this in a deep pyrex baking dish at 425 for about 45 minutes.
- Double the soy sauce and add an extra Tbsp of five spice for a MORE flavorful dish
What I Used:
- 4 lbs chicken (I used 2 breasts and 4 legs, bone in & skin on – optional)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 inches fresh ginger grated
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp 5 spice
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2-3 carrots diced
- Combine all of the ingredients from the garlic to the rice wine vinegar and whisk together.
- Marinate the chicken in the above mixture for a few hours in the fridge in a large bowl making sure each piece is coated.
- Place the diced onions and carrots in the slow cooker, add the chicken & sauce on top. Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3. OR Bake in the oven in a pyrex baking dish at 425 for 45 minutes and then combine with sauteed onions & carrots
- Serve with quinoa & broccolini for a full meal!